Tell us something about your Company, its manufacturing facilities, product range, and also about your proposed new plant near Pune. When it is expected to be operational?
Universal is engaged in selling wide range of world-class construction equipment under one roof with head office in Pune, one of the top industrial towns of India and considered to be the “Oxford of East” and just around 150 Kms from Mumbai, the commercial capital of India.
Plant I at Shirwal situated 50 Km from Pune on the Mumbai – Bangalore National Highway is equipped with modern and sophisticated factory setup to produce world-class high quality construction equipment. It has in-house manufacturing facilities such as modern machines shop, sheet metal shop, fabrication shops, assembly line, paint shops etc. All the machines manufactured are thoroughly checked by Quality Assurance Department and backed by strong after-sales service department. The sophisticated factory has also won award for the best factory. Universal’s strength lies in its experienced and highly qualified team of engineers and staff, devoted and skilled workers.
Universal is planning two new plants near Pune
- Plant II Shiware will be producing Concrete Batching Plants of various capacities. It will also have R & D facility and will be equipped with latest sophisticated machines such as CNC , Plasma Cutting, Gear Hobbing, Verticle machining center, latest paint booth, EOT Cranes etc. This plant will be capable to produce export quality products and is expected to make a turnover of 75 Crore in first year. The plant will be operational from first week of June 2006.
- Plant III Shindewadi Dist Satara will be producing P.M. Lift and Works Platform which have growing demand not only in Indian but also in the international market. This plant will be equipped with latest machines for producing export quality material handling machines and will be operational in first week of May 2006.
Universal has exported its equipment to South America, Africa, Middle East, and Asia Pacific region in past years and there is an increasing demand from not only under developed countries but also from developed countries for P.M.Lift and Works Platform. Universal is ISO certified and in process to seek CE approval for its various products. Universal has tied up with various companies for its export activity.
Universal has been an important participant at international exhibitions like Bauma—2004 and Excon—2005. What are your impressions of technical developments taking place abroad as witnessed in these exhibitions and what were the new products unveilved at Bauma 2004 and Excon 2005 and response generated particularly by participation at Bauma 2004.
Universal participated in Bauma— 2004 to get an idea of international market, product positioning, quality acceptance, and comparison in the international market. Unimix Mini Batching Plant was major focus for this exhibition and there was tremendous inquiry for selling, dealership in international market.
Highlights of Universal success at Bauma 2004 were:
- Loadcell based technology for Reversible Mixer first time in the world
- Response not only form third world countries but also from U.S.A., U.K., and Germany.
- South American companies enquired for technological collaboration
- One of the few companies to introduce itself and showcase its products through CD’s
- Finalization of Dealers for U.K., U.A.E., and South Africa.
- More than 200 dealer enquiries.
Excon - 2005 is a good platform for Indian construction equipment manufacturing companies to exhibit products in Indian market. Universal is benefited by exhibition specially for Southern region. There is a need to arrange such exhibitions in all four zones of India.
What has been market response to your premier products like P M Lift, Unismart Batching Plant, Mobile Mini Batching Plant, and recently launched novel rack and pinion technology driven lift introduced for the first time in India?
Universal has got a very good response for P.M.Lift and Works Platform as a lot of high raise structures are coming up all over India. This product has got response for Chimney work of NTPC and other private companies. Works Platform is having a good demand all over India and also exported to Asia Pacific region and we have been receiving more inquiries. The Rack & Pinion Technology with safety features has made the product more popular. Universal is coming up with range of Concrete Batching Plants of two types of mixers:
- Planetary Mixer
- Reversible Mixer
- Boom Scrapper
- Inline Hoppe Feeding
- Universal Feeding System
- Portability of plant
- User friendly
- Easy erection and dismantling
- Cost effectiveness
Universal has regional offices at seven locations Delhi, Kolkatta, Banglore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Ahmedabad, and Nashik. Through these offices there it offers its clients technical and after sales services as well as via our associate offices all over India spares and service are available.
How Universal views the current budget as related to construction equipment sector and its wish list for the benefit of industry as well as your company?
The budget has given preference to infrastructure development in India which is the need of the hour. Construction contributes ambitious plan of achieving GDP of 8% by 2007 will speed up the construction activity as it will contribute 16% to 17% of GDP, this will give rise for requirement of construction equipment all over India.
What are your future plan to cash-in the infrastructure boom in India?
Universal has a very strong R & D team and plans to introduce a new range of products which will be Selferecting Tower Crane, Tower Crane, Transit Mixer, Concrete Pumps etc. and will offer the product under one roof by its manufacturing and marketing division. Universal plans to setup more manufacturing units in coming five years for manufacturing these above products.