Procam was assigned a project by a multinational Hydro Power Equipment manufacturer for their upcoming project at Chandrapuri in the hills of Uttarakhand, involving a very difficult and challenging terrain for project cargo movement. It was an arduous job to transport 3 transformers of 50 T each. Procam team conducted a feasibility study and planned the journey covering a total distance of 1560 km while considering the route conditions and detouring for safe transportation, before confirming that the cargo could be delivered safely.
- Being an ODC cargo, the risks involved in handling and movement of all the consignments were very high. Special care was taken while transporting through hilly terrains to avoid traffic congestion.
- The entire stretch faced frequent landslides cutting off route for even essential commodities for days together.
- A low capacity long span steel bridge was a major hurdle to reach the project site.
- Very steep gradient roads and cross falls to reach higher altitude.
- There were 2 electrified railway crossings for which permission and shutdown had to be arranged in liaison with the Indian Railways.
Since the roads were unpaved with sharp turns, the team, by building temporary roadway/base, executed smooth and safe movement over the under-developed roads.
A detailed Journey Management Plan was drafted encompassing various Risk Mitigation Factors. The escort team and the convoy management also managed the clearance of fallen rocks and damaged roads to create passage for the heavy transformers.
Utmost care was taken when moving through rural areas with very steep and narrow lanes without causing any inconvenience to the inhabitants.
- With constant engagement with the customer, Procam team helped in increasing the capacity of the steel bridge from 40 MT to 100 MT by providing props, thereby reducing span length to facilitate load distribution.
- Safe and sound movement was ensured at times of landslides without causing any harm to any of the crew members.
- The convoy management professionals used all available communication in the high altitude to ensure traffic was well managed without any inconvenience to the stakeholders.
This remarkable challenge was surmounted by Procam's highly skilled & efficient team, and in compliance with the necessary HSE regulations throughout, and in line with Procam's expertise in delivering innovative solutions.
Procam Logistics is an asset- based organization and a thought leader in Integrated Supply Chain Management in India. In a complex business environment of managing end-to-end Project Logistics, it adds immense value to customers' business through domain knowledge and expertise in logistics planning, globally.