Precast India Infrastructures (PIIPL) places trust in Tekla for meeting completion deadline for Infosys superstructure project
Precast India Infrastructures Pvt. Ltd. (PIIPL) - an initiative of Bhate Raje Construction Company - has emerged as the leading choice for precast production in the construction industry. The company undertakes high volume contracts for IT buildings, commercial complexes and industrial buildings. It’s huge production facility in Wade Bolhai on the outskirts of Pune, produces precast as well as pre-stressed concrete elements ranging from small parapet walls to huge slabs spanning 16m to 20m lengths. It is equipped with automated steel cutting & bending, a versatile production yard, and an independent installation division with high-capacity tower cranes and mobile cranes.
A multi-purpose precast high-rise structure for Infosys in Pune
The multilevel car park project created for Infosys on the outskirts of Pune is a multi-purpose building. It has 7 levels of two-wheeler parking, an underground water storage facility with a humungous capacity of 56,67,000 litres, 2 storeys of restaurants, along with an attached bridge to exit the parking facility. The project also involved external development jobs like gas bank rooms, a security cabin area, entry gates, etc. The total concrete used in the project was approximately 18,000 cum with about 1,614 MT of steel.
The entire superstructure is of Precast and Prefabricated Concrete and has been designed for dynamic vehicular loads. A wide variety of precast elements were used such as retaining and shear walls, columns, hollow-core, double tee and solid slabs, pre-stressed and non-pre-stressed beams, spandrels, non-load bearing walls, etc.
Erecting a complex, geometry defying structure
The project team at PIIPL faced some unique challenges right from planning and designing to the execution of the multi-level car park. The geometry of the project area along with the land profile were the two major challenges. Besides that, the inclined grid and multiple uses of the structure at each level proved to be quite challenging. Pre-stressed beams and hollow core slabs ranging up to 12 meters were used to reduce the number of columns. The column design was also a critical part as resting beams were not orthogonal to each other.
After the conceptual planning and engineering, the project execution and completion within the scheduled timeline was the next major hurdle. More than 6,500 precast elements were produced, transported, and installed, in about 10 months. Any error or frequent reworks would have resulted in an unaffordable delay.
Some of the other complexities were the contour differences, boundary retaining walls, integration of the underground water tank, the difference in levels for restaurant and parking, various ramps, inserts of sleeves, splitting of elements due to weight constraints, slopes in terrace affecting element lengths, heights, etc.
Tekla Structures: A versatile & robust software for precast construction
Tekla Structures, quite easily and well within the specified project timeline, helped the PIIPL team to produce a large number of precast elements, address critical geometries, implement MEP requirements, and complete a lot more tasks.
Said Kapilesh Bhate, Director, PIIPL, “By using precast, we virtually enter the domain of production and assembly. And for that, we need tools potent enough to do extremely accurate detailing of the elements such as their geometry, connections, reinforcement locations, inserts, etc. In case of the MLPL3 project, everyone involved was well aware of the complexities likely to be encountered and were certain that a 2D drafting software like AutoCAD would not do the job. We could only trust Tekla - the 3D BIM software - to make this project a reality and a success. Although acquainting new team members to this platform takes a little time, the tutorials and self-help videos were of great help. The payback in project delivery far exceeds the initial effort.”
The software empowered the executing team to overcome numerous technical challenges rooted in the project and derive a host of benefits, such as:
- Collaboration made seamless with Tekla’s single reference model: At any given time, several detailers, modelers, and checkers were working on the model preparing various details, drawings, etc. Tekla offered a single reference model to the entire team which integrated the changes made in real-time and all the stakeholders, located across geographies, could easily access and analyze it.
- Obtaining all structural data from the accurate 3D model: Considering the complexities associated with the MLPL3 project, an accurate, information-rich 3D model was the only resort to achieve efficiency. With Tekla, concrete modelling and detailing were very easy. It helped in the conversion of all architectural and structural drawings into a 3D model with high LOD. For example, Tekla provided exact dimensions of the reinforcing bars in elements in the bar bending schedule (BBS).
- Quickly identifying a particular section of the model with floor layout tool: The most helpful features of Tekla that became the real game-changers for the project team were the floor layout tool for hollow-core slab layout and the quick production drawing generation using cloning of drawings. It helped to design, detail, and identify particular sections, floor-wise, for the entire model.
- Task automation made easy with custom components: The readily available custom components in the Tekla Warehouse enabled the PIIPL team to modify the model as per the design and project requirement. Reinforcement modelling is usually quite a time consuming task but the custom components feature enhanced the team’s efficiency by empowering them to automate several jobs, thereby ensuring timely completion of the project and identify particular sections, floor-wise, for the entire model.
Tekla: The facilitator for anything precastControl throughout the structural workflow at your fingertips
Tekla proved extremely helpful in many aspects across the whole lifecycle of the project like the auto-generation of production drawings, the bar bending schedules related to it, the detailed blowouts, etc. This advanced Constructible BIM software upheld the entire project, from conceptual planning of the buildings and infrastructure to fabrication, construction, and maintenance. With its designing, detailing, and information management capabilities, it enabled the team to identify and eliminate the critical issues (clashes) in the entire process much ahead of the on-ground or on-site construction, thus saving huge amounts of time and cost by eliminating rework and material wastage. Last but not the least, various small tools like the floor layout, stair component, etc. were of great help in further enhancing the productivity of the team.
Accurate, reliable information, as detailed as you need and always available, is necessary for a successful structural workflow. With Tekla software, your constructible design will promote error-free fabrication and successful construction.
- Tekla Structures is the most developed BIM software on the market. It makes accurate, constructible modelling of any structure possible.
- Tekla Structural Designer gives engineers the power to analyze and design buildings efficiently and profitably.
- Tekla Tedds is a powerful software to automate your repetitive structural calculations.
- Tekla PowerFab is a complete and connected steel fabrication management software suite.
- Tekla Model Sharing allows Tekla Structures project teams to work efficiently together, regardless of their location or time zone.
Trimble Connect is a cloud-based platform that connects the right people to the right constructible data. A technology company with a vision of transforming the way the world works, Trimble’s construction offering ranges from total stations to advanced software, giving the industry tools to transform planning, design, construction and operation of buildings. The company also has products for trades like logistics and agriculture.
Trimble Buildings provides the widest breadth of technology solutions for each phase of the building lifecycle. With the industry’s only constructible process and full range of tools and content to streamline team collaboration, Trimble solutions make data from complex projects more meaningful and actionable to improve productivity and achieve operational excellence.