The Samruddhi Expressway mahamarg project consists of 16 packages and was awarded to 13 companies: Megha Engineering & Infrastructures (Pkg-1&9), Afcons Infrastructure (Pkg-2&14), NCC (Pkg-3), PNC Infratech (Pkg-4), Sadbhav Engineering (Pkg-5), Apco Infratech (Pkg-6), Reliance Infrastructure (Pkg-7), Iron Triangle (Pkg-8), Larsen & Toubro (Pkg-10), Gayatri Projects (Pkg-11), Dilip Buildcon (Pkg-12), GVPR Engineers (Pkg-13), and Navayuga Engineering Company (Pkg-15&16).
Wirtgen slipform pavers show their potential
With a speed limit of 150 km/h, the Expressway will be the fastest in all of India, reducing travel time between Mumbai and Nagpur from 16 to 8 hours. This calls for maximum concrete paving performance both in terms of output and quality to ensure drivers’ comfort and safety on their journey. Along a stretch of 701 km, 16 units of Wirtgen slipform paver SP 1600 were in operation to lay the concrete surface.
Concrete is the ideal material for a gigantic project like this: it is cost-effective, extremely durable, and requires very little maintenance. Over a working width of 15 m, pavement quality concrete (PQC) in a depth of 310 mm was used. Proper reinforcement was done using an automatic dowel bar inserter and 3 longitudinal tie bar inserters. These make sure that cracks (which are invariably produced as a result of stresses and temperature fluctuations) are diverted into the concrete pavement in a controlled manner.
Highlights of Wirtgen slip form paver SP 1600
- Working width of up to 16 meters (special paving heights and widths up to 18.75 m are available on request)
- Cost-effectively paves concrete surfaces for traffic areas, roadways, industrial areas, and surfaces at airports, such as runways & taxiways
- Unparalleled concrete paving performance
- Long-term reliability
- Ergonomically designed, walkthrough operator platform for non-tiring, productive working
- High-powered, fuel-efficient diesel engine for concrete paving with optimum performance and torque ranges
- Spreading plough for even distribution of freshly delivered concrete in front of inset paving mould
- Electrically driven vibrators for reliable concrete compaction
- Automated insertion of longitudinal joint tie bars to prevent slabs from drifting apart
- Inset paving mould suitable for mounting between track units, underneath the machine
- Pivoting legs for full adjustment of track units to conditions prevailing at site.
Wirtgen Group service impresses on site
Everyone is happy with the day-to-day handling and overall performance of Wirtgen machines. “They are doing very well, and we are extremely satisfied with their services,” said Neeraj Sharma, Quality In-charge (Sr. Manager) at Apco Infratech, which is responsible for package 5. “They are good in technology, quality, and output. Wirtgen India, the local subsidiary of the Wirtgen Group, is always at hand to address customer requirements or challenges, and also guide our team from time to time.”