Properties of FAIRCOAT Anti-Carbonation Coatings
This ready-to-use aliphatic elastomeric-based coating contains special polymers and fillers. It provides extremely tough protective decorative coating that allows the surface to breathe. It has been specially designed for the decoration and protection of concrete against attack from atmospheric carbon dioxide, airborne chlorides, acid rain, weathering etc. Properties include the following:
- High flexibility with crack bridging capabilities up to 2mm
- Breathable in nature
- UV resistant
- Very good bonding characteristic with the substrate
- Chloride ion diffusion is zero as per ASTM C 1202
- Resistance to carbon dioxide diffusion is > 50mm thickness of equivalent air layer as per EN 1062
- Non-toxic and non-flammable
- Good weathering properties (anti-algal & anti-fungal).
Chloride ingress, in which chloride ions from the de-icing salts or from salt water, can penetrate the concrete structure and cause fast pitting corrosion of the reinforcement bars. The faster CO2 and chlorides penetrate into the concrete, the more severe will be the aggression. This aggression is faster in coastal areas (due to presence of chloride ions in seawater) and areas with very high density of vehicles as the high emission of carbon monoxide from vehicles converts into carbon dioxide.
- New Buildings & Bridges: FAIRCOAT can be applied as an anti-carbonation coating in new buildings and bridges, which will enable it to resist attack by carbon dioxide, airborne chloride, and rain.
- Existing Building & Bridges: It can be applied as a protective coating in existing buildings and bridges to protect them from carbon dioxide, air borne chloride, and rain.
- Interior Decoration of Buildings: As FAIRCOAT is non-flammable and has excellent waterproof characteristics, it can be used in interior decoration.