- Repairs: To replace or correct deteriorated, damaged or faulty materials, components, or elements of a concrete structure.
- Strengthening: The process of restoring the capacity of weakened components or elements to their original design capacity, or increasing the strength of a concrete structure.
- Protection: Making the structure able to resist the likely deterioration due to the surroundings/environment.
Why does Concrete need Repairs?There are many factors which lead to the need of repairs such as:
- Corrosion of reinforcement due to carbonation, chlorides
- Effects of Sulphates
- Alkali silica reaction
- Environmental pollution
- Deicing salts
- Acid rains
- Freeze thaw cycles
- Abrasion or erosion from wind or water borne agents
- Plants or micro organisms
- Physical settlement
- Chemical attack by aggressive chemicals, in industrial or marine environment sewerage or even soft water.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.