General Manager, ECE.
Escorts got its fair share from the boom in high rise building construction.
The equipment that finds use in this domain is :-
- Backhoe Loaders: For excavation of basements, loading of excess soil on to haulage trucks/trolleys. These are also used for errand jobs at the site.
Escorts offers Digmax II & Jungli as the two products in Backhoe Loaders.
- Pick-n-Carry cranes: most of the building material at construction sites is handled by Pick n carry cranes till it reaches a particular height whereafter tower cranes take over/ play the lead role. PnC cranes are the first ones to enter the site & last ones to exit. We have a plethora of models to offer but there are some select models that are the best fit for more than one reasons including versatility & cost effectiveness.
- Vibratory Compactors: are used for compaction of good earth, particularly in green field projects/& arears involving land fill/reclaimation. Road construction within project sites requires Soil as well as Tandem Rollers as also Mini TVRs.
Escorts 5250, Escorts HD85 & Escorts 3664 are the Soil, Asphalt & Mini Tandem compactors respectively.
- Motor Graders: are finding increasing use in high rise projects. It doubles up as a dozer & scrapper besides finish grading for landscaping profiles/ golf courses & other contouring jobs. These are imported machines & Escorts provides, installation, training & after sales service on these machines.
- Tower Cranes : have been used in India since mid 80s but 1992 marked the inflection point with Mumbai & Gurgaon taking off in a big way for high rise buildings. These cranes changed the landscape of the high rise project sites across the entire country & the manner in which material got moved/handled at construction sites.
These tower Cranes are traded/imported & sold with Escorts warranty/after sales service & training.
Escorts offers all the above products & is associated with most of the leading real estate companies & high rise housing projects across the country.
Escorts has supplied Telehandlers & Aerial Work Platforms for housing projects in the past but later on moved out of Telehandler/Aerial Platform business.
A lot of other machines are used in High Rise building construction including the full range of Concreting machines, mini & midi excavators & haulage trucks. However Escorts has strategically stayed out of this domain.
Currently the scene is not good but this too shall pass. Since land cannot be created, the only way out is to move up & high rise is the only way. The economy is looking better coupled with the aspirational 63% of the 1.25 billion Indians who are below 35 years of age & want independent space to live in. The existing phase, for the last three years looks like an extended winter but Spring can’t be far away. When will that be, is anybody’s guess!!