Development of Gabion Wall (700m length, max height of 34m, and average height 25m Length) on east side of East Cell Red Mud Pond (RMP), including Design, Vetting, and SPCB Approval for Vedanta, Odisha.
Due to space constraint, client wanted to construct soil retaining wall so that space can be utilised fully without compromising the structural stability of the pond. Client wanted to build the soil retaining wall in the east and south side of the pond area so that the holding volume of the pond can be enhanced further. Total approx. length is about 700m and height of the wall shall be 34m maximum; the height of the wall varied as per the site contour and condition.
Client wanted to carry out the detailed survey and geotechnical investigation, design, drawing and construction of gabion wall on east and south side of pond (as per plan drawing) to enhance the storage capacity of the pond. Along with this, the client needed a tailored solution for soil erosion of the dry stacking area.
We visited the site and after survey proposed construction of GTI GX Earth Wall for increasing the dumping capacity at Vedanta Limited, Lanjigarh, Odisha. GTI GX walls are Gabion Fascia Geogrid reinforced soil walls which are also used in response to difficult design conditions such as very high structures, restricted spaces, unstable slopes, and poor foundation conditions.
The inherent strength and flexibility of the overall wall system gives designers a powerful way to economically solve difficult stability issues of structures subject to seismically active area.
Typical Cross-section Proposed for this Project is given below:
Zn + PVC coated Gabion boxes were used as fascia and non-woven geotextile is provided behind wall as filter media as red mud was used as fill material. PET uniaxial geogrid was used as reinforcement for GTI GX wall system. Our scope included Design, Vetting and Construction of Gabion wall of length 700m and average height of 25m.
Advantages of GTI GX wall over conventional solutions
- No need for the heavier or deeper foundation that a conventional retaining wall would have
- Strong fastening procedure ensures that the units act as one extremely strong monolithic structure
- The permeable nature of this system is guarded against hydrostatic pressure build up and uplifts from turbulent flow. Gabion’s fascia helped to slow the velocity of concentrated runoff or to stabilize slopes with seepage problems and/or non-cohesive soils
- Allowed to withstand some differential settlement without fracturing the structure, particularly when a structure is installed on unstable and uneven ground
- Allowed vegetation to grow with this system, thus enabling it to blend into the natural environment
- The structure was more cost efficient as it requires minimum labour and plant, and is faster and easier to construct compared to other rigid and similar function structures
- Is low maintenance usually as minimal maintenance is required since Gabions are extremely durable and long lasting
- Environment-friendly Gabions have much less impact on the environment than other construction materials like concrete, with an improved environmental quality at a number of locations The carbon footprint analysis shows that the use of a Gabion solution can reduce CO2 emissions by up to 80% compared to a concrete retaining wall of the same height.
We faced many challenges while executing this project, but we found the solutions and completed the project within the given timeline. Client was very happy with the timely delivery of best quality products as well as good quality execution of Gabion work. The project was successfully completed on Feb 2021 by GTI.