Until now, waterproofing has been done with typical systems, like brickbat coba, lime terracing and the 'Mud Fuska.' Sometimes, tarfelt and bitumen are also used. All these methods are woefully inadequate, but also have certain disadvantages that can cause damage to the structure of the building. Most of these systems put increased load on the slab, they are more for insulation and do not offer leak-proof or water-tight solutions. As they age, breaking them and re-doing the same system is risky for the slab; cracks caused in the slab increase the problem of leakage. Also the expertise levels are not as good as in the olden days. The elements and foot traffic take their toll on the terrace surface.
Dr. Fixit Newcoat is ideal for roof waterproofing that is old and needs to be redone. It is a high performance, heavy-duty weightless waterproofing system that can be applied over the existing waterproofing system, without even breaking it. It comes in three different light colors to ensure the customer gets all the three coatings. Dr. Fixit Newcoat does not require any additional protective system over it and is ideal for flat RCC roofs, even roofs subject to heavy foot traffic. Repairs on the existing terrace surface and the parapets, etc. must be done prior to the coating, as Dr. Fixit Newcoat is the final system, to give a finish.
Dr. Fixit Newcoat is resistant to algae, mildew and efflorescence. It breathes easily and reflects harmful UV and infrared rays to a great extent. Highly flexible with a crack bridging ability upto 1.5 mm, and excellent bonding strength with cementitious substrates, it is applicable on all new and old flat and sloping RCC roofs.
Large terrace slabs have different needs than small span labs. Large terrace slabs have continuous spans and require tougher membranes. Dr. Fixit Torchshield is a 4 mm thick torch-on membrane, with a 10 year life expectancy. This system is essentially laid over a screed course laid to slope of at least 1 in 100. It can also be sandwiched in between the sloped course below and an overlaying course of clay tiles and bedding mortar. Even sloped RCC roofs are recommended to be waterproofed with this system, as it is difficult to compact concrete in sloped roofs. Dr. Fixit Torchshield should be overlapped at different surfaces as recommended.
The two systems have proved immensely useful in preventing water seepage. It seems the worries of houseowners and builders are nearing their end. Finally, buckets can go where they belong – in the bathroom.
Terrace WaterproofingIn India, Terrace Waterproofing has always been done with very traditional materials. Typically systems like brickbat Coba, Lime terracing or the "Mud Fuska" technique are still very much in vogue. These systems have been offering waterproofing with some insulation against heat.
Some of the problems that these systems have are:
- Heavy loading on the slab
- Cracks on the surface, especially in case of brick bat coba
- Expertise levels of application required for lime terracing/mud fuska not as good as in the olden days
- Offer more insulation rather than a leak proof or a water-tight system
- As they age breaking them and re-doing the same system is risky for the slab; cracks caused in the slab increase the problem of leakage
Some points for waterproofing contractors have been listed as under, to increase their rate of success, in carrying out the waterproofing jobs on terraces/roofs.
Structural IssuesCause of Leakage:
- Cracks on the top surface of slab-Injection grouting as required, large cracks repair with URP modified mortar
- Cracks on the bottom of slab due to excess deflection of slab-Structural consultant's opinion must be taken; if leaking can be addressed with a hydrophobic PU foam injection grout
- Cracks at column supports-Structural consultant's opinion must be taken
- Excess porosity in the slab, bad quality concrete-Resort to Injection grouting
- Expansion joint in the slab-Polysulphide sealant application with proper detailing
- Inadequate design of the slab-Structural engineers opinion
- Spalling of concrete due to corrosion in the slab-Detailed repair with catholic protection & repair materials
- Cracks due to differential settlement of a building-structural and soil experts opinion must be taken
Non Structural Issues:
- Slope not proper-Slope must be provided for water drainage
- Inadequate rain water pipes-Provide drain water pipes as required
- Parapet wall not in good condition-Repair parapet masonry/plaster using mortar added with w/p compounds/polymer bonding agents
- Internal cracks, honeycombs (finished with ordinary mortar), porosity, etc. which cannot be seen by eye-pack using inject grout at the place of leakage from top to bottom
- Mechanical installations like cooling towers, AC units, etc., on the terrace-Foundations must be examined and repaired if required
- Aggressive climatic conditions-choose and apply protective coating/WP system
- Thermal extremes-Provide insulation treatment over WP layer.
Details on the Product: Newcoat
Waterproof coating for terraceDr. Fixit Newcoat is a heavy-duty; microfibre reinforced acrylic based flexible terrace waterproof coating.It has been tested, approved & used by Housing Development Board of Singapore. Dr.Fixit Newcoat is a three-layer system with coats in different colors ensuring proper buildup of the thickness, making it a reliable waterproofing system.
Features & Benefits
- Better film thickness-provides 1mm dry film thickness in 3 coats as compared to 300–400 microns in 2 coats of other products.
- High crack bridging ability-bridges cracks upto 2mm width as compared to 0.5mm by other products
- High tensile strength, tear resistence & bond strength- with cementitious substrates as compared to available products
- Good resistance-Against UV, Infraded rays and algal & fungal growth
- Ease in application-can be applied by brush or roller
- Non toxic, breathable & washable
- Aesthetic finish-available in pink, green and grey colors for different coats.
Features & Benefits
- Self finished, jointless monolithic membranes provide excellent watertight and vapour barrier system
- High tensile, tear and puncture resistance
- Can take thermal and structural stresses effectively, without any fatigue
- Laid quickly and easily; safe and environment friendly
- Do not undergo early aging, thus provide long life durable membrane
- Easy melting & fixing, thus saving on usage of expensive gases
- Available in 1.5, 2, 3 and 4mm thickness APP/SBS modified membrane rolls
Areas of application / Application Procedure: NewcoatAll new RCC flat and sloping roofs
Existing cementitious waterproofing treatments like brick-bat-coba, concrete screeds, acrylic coatings, etc.
- Roofs with foot traffic
- Roofs without foot traffic
- Under tiling
- Roof gardens
- Tunnels and subways
- Hydraulic works/Swimming pools