Installation of Polygomma EPDM waterproofing membrane on a roofInspite of having so many waterproofing systems available in India, the issue of waterproofing still prevails.
Traditionally, the following waterp- roofing systems are being used in India:
- Brick Bat Coba: This waterproofing system is used in several areas of a building such as large podiums, terraces, wet areas (toilets), balconies, etc. Since the bricks are porous they not only absorb water, but also add tremendous load on the structure. The extra load on the structure and the temperature variations often causes the slab to crack. Leakages caused are extremely difficult to repair. Also, the brick bat coba is expensive as compared to a lot of modern waterproofing systems available. Even though it helps to provide a uniform slope, there are better ways to get a slope.
- Box Type Waterproofing: This waterproofing system is generally used for basements. The system consists of shahbad tiles for waterproofing. The shahbad tiles are brittle, and tend to crack upon building settlement. The cracked tiles cause leakages in basements, which are very difficult to repair. Moreover, there are numerous number of joints that need to be grouted perfectly to avoid any leakages. This type of waterproofing is expensive, time consuming, and extremely laborious.
- Bitumen Membranes: The Bitumen membranes are used in waterproofing of roofs, terraces, podiums, etc. Bitumen membranes are generally multi-ply membranes, manufactured using petroleum waste. The chances of inter-ply blisters and inter-ply de-bonding are high. Also, it is not possible to have a uniform thickness across the entire membrane. The bitumen membranes are difficult and extremely hazardous & unsafe to apply. The bitumen fumes generated at work sites are carcinogenic (known to cause cancer). The workers applying bitumen membranes have acute irritation and chronic health effects. Additionally, the extreme heat and UV exposure may cause the lifespan of these membranes to reduce.
Polygomma EPDM waterproofing membrane installed on an exposed roof.The Polygomma EPDM Waterproofing Membranes are a single-ply, EPDM rubber-based membranes. It can be used for waterproofing of various areas of a building including basements, podiums/landscape areas, roofs/terraces, wet areas (toilets), expansion joints, etc. The following are the advantages of EPDM waterproofing membranes:
- Superior Mechanical and Elonga- tion: The EPDM waterproofing membranes have an elongation of over 300%, and a tensile strength of over 9 MPa. Thus, it can take care of the structural movements of the building, and does not crack during stresses. Also, when used in basements, it can take care of the building settlement, and does not crack under load. We manufacture EPDM membranes of dimensions- 6m(w) x 30m(l). It makes installation a lot more quick as compared to systems such as Box Type waterproofing.
- Superior Aging Properties: The EPDM waterproofing membranes are UV and ozone-resistant. They are known to perform over 25 years even when exposed to UV, as long as they are not physically damaged. It adds negligible load on the structure. Thus, it can be used in place of brick bat coba, to waterproof terraces/roofs, podium/landscape areas, etc, without adding significant load to the structure.
- Ease of Installation: Unlike bitumen base membranes, there are no flames or torches required to install our EPDM membranes. The Polygomma EPDM membranes are installed using bonding adhesives such as Polygomma Bonding Adhesive. The installation is quick and more importantly, safe.