JBA Concrete Solutions' Forta Ferro: The Wonder Product in Concrete Reinforcement
JBAs' Forta Ferro Fibers, Gurgaon, Manesar, India
FORTA-FERRO Fiber is a macro/structural colour-blended synthetic fiber which is made from virgin copolymer/polypropylene. The material consists of twists of non-fibrillating monofilament and fibrillating network fiber which gives it high tensile strength, making it an ideal choice for reinforcement. While the heavy-duty monofilament provides post-crack protection, the polypropylene fibers which are net shaped add crack control. The twisted bundle structure enables the material to distribute evenly, without any clumping. It can act as a perfect replacement for steel in installation of reinforcements in concrete.
The twisted blend of the fiber consists of:
- A fibrillating network of fibers which is mainly made from the material polypropylene. It helps in controlling the shrinkage of the concrete thus preventing cracks. It also provides resistance to cracking of the concrete with rise in temperature.
- A heavy duty non-fibrillating monofilament which is made from a synthetic copolymer. It helps in increasing the load strength and improves the integrity and performance of the concrete post-crack. This material is used in long lengths and in high dosages.
- FORTA-FERRO fibers are used to reduce plastic shrinkage and help in preventing cracking in concrete due to shrinkage. It imparts crack controlling properties to the concrete as well as provides post crack strength.
- The material is non-corrosive, which provides long life to the concrete structure
- It provides three dimensional coverage of reinforcements in concrete,and strengthens the structure of the concrete from within.
- It also increases the shatter strength of the concrete, enabling it to withstand high impacts on the surface
- When compared to the steel reinforcements that demand high labour force, FORTA-FERRO fibers provide a cost effective alternative for reinforcements in concrete
- The application process of the FORTA-FERRO fibers demand much lesser time as compared to the alternate methods
- It can be applied in many ways such as through pumping, casting, shooting, and simple placing
- It is also non-magnetic in nature
- The reduction of steel in the concrete structure will help to save a considerable amount of money
- The material is extremely user-friendly, making it extremely popular as well. The usability of the fiber has made it the most used and best mixing and finishing fiber in this field of manufacture.
- Precast structures
Composite vacuum testing conducted under heavy loads has shown that FORTA-FERRO fibers work well for precast structures. Hence it has been a popular choice for reinforcement in concrete structures such as septic tanks, manholes, burial vaults, and other precast builds. The replacement of steel has resulted in reduction of cost in construction of precast structures considerably.
FORTA-FERRO fibers have also been used in flatworks resulting in the reduction of use of steel reinforcements in this area. The common flatworks that use this material as reinforcement include bridge decks, commercial as well as industrial floors, streets, residential slabs, pavements, driveways, etc.
FORTA-FERRO is also known to be used in shotcrete works such as swimming pools and lake linings, slope stabilization, tunnel linings, rock and water-scapes, etc.
The recommended proportion for mixing FORTA-FERRO fibers are 0.2% to 2.0% by volume of the concrete taken. It is easy to manufacture and provides the perfect alternative to steel reinforcements.
- Materials used: Virgin Copolymer/Polypropylene
- Form: Monofilament/Fibrillated Fiber System
- Tensile Strength: 83-96 ksi. (570-660 MPa)
- Specific Gravity: 0.91
- Color: Gray
- Length: 2.25" (54mm), 1.5" (38mm)
- Absorption: No absorption
- Acid/Alkali Resistance: Extremely good
- Compliance: A.S.T.M. C-1116