The Airport Authority of India (AAI) has reached a deal with landowners for the acquisition of 627.89 acres of land for the expansion of the Coimbatore International Airport. The acquisition will cost approximately ₹2,000 crore, with 90% of the landowners agreeing to the deal. Negotiations are ongoing with the remaining 10% who are opposed to the acquisition.
The district administration has finalized compensation at ₹1,500 per sqft for residential land and ₹900 per sqft for agricultural land, the highest figures offered by the state government for any land acquisition. However, the expansion will require the demolition of 634 houses. The AAI has promised to provide 134 acres of land in the Kanchipuram district to the Indian Air Force (IAF), Indian Army, and Indian Navy in exchange for their land.