SSAB: Leading developer and manufacturer of wear, structural, protection and tool steels
It undertakes steel production in Oxelösund (Sweden) with an annual production capacity of 1.5 million tonnes, as well as for the sales of its products made in Mobile, Alabama (USA), Raahe (Finland) and Borlänge (Sweden).
SSAB’s broad service offering include local stocks, technical customer support, engineering and processing services.
Application areas of special high-strength structural steel
- Mobile cranes (booms, chassis, and support legs)
- Truck-mounted cranes
- Aerial work platforms
- Chassis for trailers and trucks
- Agricultural machinery
- Offshore (selected components such as jack-up rigs)
- Dumber bodies for both off-road and on-road use
- Stationary mining equipment such as crushers
- Recycling equipment
- Wear parts for all kinds of machinery that manages material flows of some kind
- Hardox is the leading brand of wear steels that are a combination of hardness and toughness, which in turn enables lighter, more durable structures for increased payload and longer service life
- Strenx is SSAB’s high-strength structural steel brand. Yield strengths range from 600 MPa to 1300 MPa. Its high strength combined with good impact strength and forming properties enables strong, lighter structures for increased payloads.
SSAB has operated in tough market environments as many industries such as the mining and construction machinery have been stagnant or in decline. Heavy transportation has been one of the best developing segments over the past year.
Customer demand for lighter and more sustainable products is driving increased use of high-strength steel. SSAB steels offer the possibility to build lighter products with a longer lifecycle in a way that reduces component wear and lowers fuel consumption, increases lifting performance, and enables higher payloads. Market share of high-strength steel is increasing in all markets, although, the penetration rate in emerging markets is considerably lower than in mature markets.
- World’s widest product portfolio
- Close collaboration and joint projects with customers result in more fast-paced development and increased competitiveness
- Well-known and highly-respected product brands
- Long-standing customer relations
- Competitive lead-times and service on a global scale
- Steel service centers and own stocks in about 160 locations in 50 countries
- Combination of expertise in developing steels, design and know-how on application areas.