Amol Sinha, Director, Product Support & Training, Terex India
The government and industry can help create a more sustainable future by reducing waste and conserving resources, and by promoting / encouraging use of recycled materials. They can make recycling more convenient, for instance, by providing more recycling bins and making it easier to recycle different types of materials. Educating people about the benefits of recycling can be done through school programs, public awareness campaigns, and social media initiatives. The government can support the development of new recycling technologies and help create a market for recycled materials by mandating businesses to use recycled materials in their products.
Support by Government and IndustryHere are some measures that can be taken at both the government and industry levels to enhance the adoption and utilization of recycled materials for a more sustainable future and support the “waste to wealth” mission:
- Set targets for use of recycled materials in products and services.
- Provide subsidies and tax breaks for businesses that use recycled materials.
- Invest in research and development of new recycling technologies.
- Create awareness on importance of recycling through education programs and public awareness campaigns.
- Set a target of using 50% recycled content in all plastic packaging by 2030.
- Provide a tax break of 25% for businesses that use recycled materials.
- Make co-processing of RDF & SRF mandatory in cement plants.
- Design products that are easy to recycle.
- Use recycled materials in their products.
- Recycle their own waste.
- Support development of new recycling technologies.
- Beverage companies could start using recycled plastic bottles.
- Clothing companies could start using recycled textiles.
- Furniture companies could start using recycled wood.
- Electronics companies could start using recycled metals.
Solutions to challenges in waste recyclingSome of the challenges faced by waste recycling industry in India and the solution offered by Terex are enumerated below. By taking all these steps, we can make recycling a common practice and help create a more sustainable future.
- Intermixing of various types of waste: Terex speciality waste segregation screens offer industries best and the most innovative technology to segregate different fractions so that they can be processed more effectively, thus making recycling more efficient.
- Low value of waste materials: Terex specialty shredders convert plastic and fibrous materials segregated from municipal waste dumps into high value RDF (Refuge Derived Fuel) and SRF (Solid Recovered Fuel). Similarly, demolition waste can be converted to valuable recycled aggregates by processing it in our Impact crushers. Any rebar present in demolition waste is easily liberated and removed by the strong magnet which is integral in Terex crushers.
- Various large dump sites overflowing their capacity: Terex manufactures mobile screens, crushers and shredders that can be very quickly deployed to such waste dump sites, sometime on top of dumps also, thus avoiding land plot and/or civil foundation work. All such Terex machines are hybrid i.e., they can run on external electricity or onboard engine to offer complete versatility in operations along with safety.
Technologies and equipmentWe have launched several models for recycling urban and industrial solid waste. C&D waste is converted to Recycled Aggregate and municipal waste is converted to Refuge Derived Fuel by using Terex Impactor and Shredder, respectively. Since mixed waste dumps need segregation of materials, Terex has designed speciality screens which can do this very difficult task of segregation of different fractions of waste dumps such that individual fractions can be recycled. Currently, more than 70 Terex speciality screens are working at various municipal dump sites throughout India.
The innovative technology and solutions offered by Terex for proper segregation and processing of various types of solid waste are listed below:
- Construction & Demolition Waste: Terex Impactor crusher is best suited to process C&D waste in-situ into valuable Recycled Aggregate. It recovers high value metals by easily liberating and segregation by magnet. The compact design and hybrid power option makes deployment quick and avoids costly land plot and civil foundation work. Terex offers crushers from low to very high capacity to cater to all sizes of urban bodies. Such recycled aggregate can be further cleaned in Terex washing systems equipment to reduce silt and clay and improve the quality of Manufactured Aggregate. Any water used in washing can be recycled up to 95% in Terex AquaClear® range of wastewater management products, thus saving a precious commodity like water.
- Legacy Municipal Solid Waste: Terex offers various innovative screening technology viz Flip Flow Screen, Cascade Finger Screen and Self-cleaning Trommel Screen in mobile platform.
- Fresh Municipal Solid Waste: Terex offers most scientifically designed Material Recovery Facility comprising of Pick Station, Metal Separators including magnetic as well as Eddy Current type. Air Density Separator further separates heavy aggregates from light high calorific value material.
- Terex speciality shredders convert plastic and fibrous material segregated from a municipal waste dump or from a Material Recovery Facility into high value RDF (Refuge Derived Fuel) and SRF (Solid Recovered Fuel).