Project at a GlanceName: Healthy Planet School
Typology: Pre-school for kids
Location: Jaypee Wishtown, Noida
Owner: Sukhmani Infotech Private Limited
Structural Consultant: Skeleton Consultants, Pvt. Ltd.
Structural Team: Er.(Dr) Abhay Gupta Er. Mohd. Mueez Khan, Mr. Devi Prasad, Mr. Nishant, Mr. Amit, Mr. Mahendra Singh
Architect: Vir Mueller Architects
Civil Works Contractor: Abhinav Singh
Cost of Project: - 15 crore (approx)
The school encourages children to interact socially to improve their behavioral and emotional skills.
The building comprises of a Basement + GF + 1 Floor structure with provision for an atrium roof on the top floor, and is organized as a set of organic ‘cells’ with the classrooms centered around a courtyard. Irregularly shaped, it has varying plans at different floor levels. Constructed as an RCC structure, it has a Structural Wall System consisting of Columns, Shear Walls, and Flat Plates and uses exposed brick, concrete and colored terrazzo are the primary building materials.
A major highlight is that the floor rests over the shear walls and non-structural walls, which are tied together with a concealed beam. The floor is designed as a plate element which also has large cutouts. Skeleton Consultants provided Structural Engineering consultancy for the project.
Structural Geometrical Features
- The building is analyzed as R.C. Structural Wall System consisting of Columns, Shear walls, Flat plate as per IS: 1893(Part1)-2016/IS13920-2016.
- The structural system is designed to resist the total design force in proportion to their lateral stiffness considering the interaction at each floor level.
- Due to the unsymmetrical and irregular shape, dynamic analysis is done as per codal provisions.
- Floor slabs are checked as per Cl 7.6.4 of IS-1893 (Part1) -2016 for diaphragms action in horizontal direction accordingly defined as semi-rigid.
- Shrinkage strips are provided to cater to temperature effects.
- Foundation consists of Isolated and Combined footing of 450mm thickness. For ease of consideration, the stitch slab in between the footing is also provided with a thickness of 450mm.
Structural Materials Used
- Structure is constructed using Reinforced Concrete as primary material.
Loads, Analysis & Design
- For analysis ETABS 2016/2018 software is used. A 3D model was prepared and analysis was done for different load combinations to achieve optimum section sizes of beams and columns.
- For seismic analysis, linear dynamic analysis was performed.
- The design of members was done as per IS 456:2000, IS 13920:2016, IS 1893:2016.
- For design of foundation, support reactions were extracted from ETABS model to SAFE and Excel and the foundation was designed accordingly. Gross Bearing Capacity is considered as per soil report.
Green Building features and conceptsThis building has been designed, constructed and operates to reduce or eliminate negative impacts on climate and natural environment by adopting the following features.
- Efficient use of energy, water and other resources.
- Use of renewable energy, such as solar energy. Solar panels have been installed on roofs to harness energy from the sun to generate electricity.
- Daylight harnessing.
- Pollution and waste reduction measures and waste management system for recycling and reuse of waste.
- The design enables adaption to a changing environment.
Provision for Fire Fighting & Fire Alarm SystemThe school building has installed fire suppression systems, smoke detectors, fire alarms, and sprinklers for fire detection to safeguard the building against fire breakouts and protect the occupants, and prevent damage to expensive equipment, documents and inventory.
Project ChallengesOne of the major challenges while designing the structure was the planning of structural elements. As per the architectural requirements, the project has curved walls, floor with large cutouts, cantilever slabs, etc. The floor of the structure also supports brick walls; concealed beams were provided at suitable places to distribute the walls’ load. Slabs were also checked for long-term deflections. Concealed beams were also embedded with ISMB 150 section to account for shear deformations. The area around the cutouts was given extra reinforcement.
During execution at site, due to the complex geometry, the shuttering was a major challenge. Hence, a special shuttering was specifically manufactured. A lot of focus was given to quality control, concrete and curing.